Friday, December 2, 2016

December

1 - Daily Stretch, Sandra's Quick WO #1

2 - Shortened version of 10 in 10 - great for a time crunched day when you want a full WO.

3 - Yesterday was Daily Stretch. We went grocery shopping and were in the check out. Someone, put a cart full of display items on an angle beside me. Since my back was to it and I was busy unpacking the cart, I didn’t notice it. When I finally turned to pull the last few items out of the back I caught my right leg and twisted my right hip, low back, right where I had the Charlie horse last week.
It didn’t hurt much then but tightened up later. I did Daily Stretch used my home crafted pain oil and took turmeric and valerian. I’m pain free but if I twist the right way it will spasm. I should have done a sauna. Probably will today. Not sure what to do exercise wise. Daily Stretch for sure.
4 - Whew! I decided to try Sandra’s Gentle Sculpting. It’s a beginner session that begins with Somatics so I figured I’d just stop if something hurt. During the first part of Somatics my right hip, maybe SI joint cracked and all was right with the world again. I followed it up with a sauna and then shower. I feel like a new woman. Nothing ever happens without reason. I believe I was meant to revisit this Beginner session. It’s kind of like revisiting your roots. I love what you say at the beginning of that workout Sandra. I read parts of Callan’s back pain book while in the sauna. Good stuff.

5 - This morning I woke up early so I thought I'd put the extra time to work for me. My hips and sacrum feel very stable this morning. I did the straight through version of 10/10.
Seems crazy to go from bent over with muscle spasms to feeling quite strong so quickly. I did modify the behind and hips exercises just to be safe.

6 - Daily Stretch followed by a very long, physical day.

7 - Short on sleep and I swear too tired to sit in the sauna and sweat. Time for a rest day.

8 - Original Callanetics without the chit chat.

9 - Sandra's 1 hour Gentle Sculpting session followed by a sauna. <sigh>

10 - Today I bounced on my rebounder for 30 minute. When I finished bouncing I did Quick Callanetics Stomach. I used the download and could see that it was higher quality than when I stream it. I think that's why there's never any buffering. The stream at the quality that my internet speed allows for. I wish all streaming sites did this!

11 - This morning I thought about the coming week and how busy it will be – extremely busy! Then I visited the Callanetics streaming site to see what might work best. I noticed that there are three sets of AM and PM workouts, the originals by Callan, Sandra’s version and Lacey’s Version. I’m planning on trying a single session each day. If I have more time I’ll add on, possibly Daily Stretch and/or some of the Callanetics Planking I learned from other sessions. 
This morning I did Callan’s AM. I really like this session. I had done open closes yesterday and managed three sets of 7 slow, clean open closes. My legs start out fairly high but get lower with each set. By the third set they’re only about 6″ off the ground. Today I only did two sets of 7.  I’m noticing how proper Upper Body form releases my low back. I really noticed this with the double leg seated hamstring stretch today and the ab work as well.

12 - Sandra's Sunrise Session 
13  - I just finished Lacey's Callanetics wake up. It's only 20 minutes but has two S-L-O-W sets of 10 open closes. I managed the first 10 but only 9 of the second set because I wasn't staying relaxed. This exercise feels to me like the barre version of push ups because it's total body. Lacey also did some planking early on. Short but complete feeling when you finish. I'll be teaching and running around all day so this was perfect. So much fun to try the different instructors.

14 - Checking in with Daily Stretch and the original PM Callanetics. I like this one in the AM when I'm in the midst of a crazy busy, stressful week. Mellows me right out. I need to stop neglecting Daily Stretch. If motion is lotion, this session is soothing balm.

15- Sandra's Sunset Workout - It felt more active than Callan's PM but it's also 38 minutes long. I feel really relaxed now and ready for a busy work day.

16 - I originally thought I'd do Daily Stretch and Lacey's Callanetics Wind Down. One of my son's appointments was moved forward so I only did Wind Down. It's supposed to be an evening/end of day session but I appreciate these kinds of sessions for stress relief. There was actually more work than I expected but it left me feeling calm and balanced.

17 - Rest day other than some therapeutic stretching.

18 - This morning I did Sandra's Daily Stretch, a single set Callanetics bent knee Abs and the Katy Bowman dome stretches. Then I decided to attempt to stream one of the free Bar Method mini sessions. 20 minutes long. It streamed perfectly. Then I did a sauna. 

The really cool thing is how different the Bar Method WO felt. More relaxed, easier, yet deeply challenging. Even when I got my thigh muscles hopping around I was able to stay calm and keep going. 

19 -  Today I did Sandra's Catch up Workout. I've been curious about it for a while. It wasn't what I expected because she didn't mess around but got right back to 100 pulses for the selected exercises! That was actually nice because it provides quite a bang for your 32 minutes.

Yesterday's bar method session left some mild soreness in my "dancer's dents" and between my shoulders. Funny thing though, it felt more like tense soreness than a muscle that got overworked slightly. It's the first time I've ever felt that distinction. I wish I could describe the difference but I can't put words to it. Relaxing into today's workout - even while working very deeply? - soothed that out. This certainly has been a journey in learning to listen to what my body has to say. :)

20 - Daily Stretch, TBM 20 minutes, Quick Callanetics Stomach

21 - Busy day despite being on vacation. My son and I made a "to do" list half a mile long. :) We got a quarter of it checked off and I took a workout break.

I was going to pull out TBM Beginner DVD in order to check out the music but I really wanted to do Classic Callanetics. Doing both would be total overkill so no TBM. I'll check it out soon though. I really love Classic Callanetics. I want to do it regularly with a goal of working toward Super Callanetics.

Even though I cut way back on WO time over the last two weeks I felt stronger, more in control and yet more relaxed than the last time I did it. I was able to do two sets of 8 slow controlled open closes. My feet are staying high now. I want continue the pattern of occasional recovery weeks where I cut back on workout time.

22 -  Today I did the straight through version of the Original Callanetics. It's what I felt like doing but I initially hesitated because I had just done Classic Callanetics.
Then I realized that I could modify or take breathers as needed. I'm so glad I challenged myself and did it. I ended up doing the hip and behind exercises on the floor using the torso twist version to elongate my middle. I also really extended and varied the types of pulses. I am so in love with pelvic rotations that it's pretty much a sickness at this point. :o Later tonight I hope to do Daily Stretch, take sauna and blast for blood flow.

I feel like I'm getting better at keeping forward bends in my hamstrings vs taking it as a lumbar curve. This is helping me keep my low back stable. It's a very cool feeling.

23 - Today I did the straight through version of the Original Callanetics. It's what I felt like doing but I initially hesitated because I had just done Classic Callanetics. 
Then I realized that I could modify or take breathers as needed. I'm so glad I challenged myself and did it. I ended up doing the hip and behind exercises on the floor using the torso twist version to elongate my middle. I also really extended and varied the types of pulses. I am so in love with pelvic rotations that it's pretty much a sickness at this point. Later tonight I hope to do Daily Stretch, take sauna and blast for blood flow. (Did this.)

24 - I pulled out TBM Beginner's DVD. The music is definitely more upbeat than Callanetics but it's instrumental and not at all in your face. I'm definitely stronger and was able to do the more advanced versions of all of the 
exercises. Tonight I'll do Daily Stretch a sauna and blast for blood flow. (Did this.)

25 -  Merry Christmas Everyone! 
I was going to Freebound today but woke up craving some deep pulsing so I did AM Callanetics. If day plays out right I hope to do PM Callanetics, a sauna and blood flow blasting before bed tonight. (Did this.) 
I can't believe I wasn't the least bit sore. TBM usually makes me really sore when I go as deeply as I did yesterday. There is definitely something to this relaxing and giving in stuff! 

26 - Sorry for being MIA. I had a stomach bug. The crazy thing was that I didn't even go overboard on Christmas. I ate small portions. I should of known something was up when I didn't feel like eating dessert. I did do PM Calanetics, sauna and blast on Christmas evening.
Yesterday, the 26th, I did Daily Stretch when I first got up and by the end knew I wasn't feeling up to anything else.

27 - I'm taking today step by step, though I do feel a lot better.  I did think they worked! I felt quite a bit better this afternoon. Not 100% but better. I wanted Somatics. I decided to do Sandra's Gentle Sculpting. It's an hour long but the first 25 minutes are Somatics. There's a plank that's supposed to be one minute that actually clocks in at 1:50. I took the last 20 seconds to my knees. (I've had very little to eat over the last two days.) It's funny, I've done that workout and made it quite challenging but today it was the perfect getting better workout.

28/29 -  Yesterday ended up being a rest day but not because I wanted it to be. Hindsight, I should have gotten into the gym early. Once it got past 8am the day conspired against me.

We found out that Starsky, our cat has glaucoma in his left eye. That necessitated a 30 minute one way trip to the pharmacy for eye drops. They have Starsky Madden on them and his adoption date as a birth date since we don't know the real date. :D He's actually doing ok with letting me put them in.

Today we are waiting for a storm that's supposed to drop 2+ feet of snow ❄️ On us. I figure I'll be doing some shoveling several times today and tonight so will probably do Daily Stretch before bed and do a sauna - not sure my arms will feel like blasting after all that shoveling. Tomorrow we both have appointments so life needs to go on despite the snow.

30 - Watched the sun rise while shoveling snow!  Watching the sun rise with the guy you love while getting some strength and cardio that accomplishes what you need to get done. Multitasking at its best!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment. Your comment will appear shortly.