Friday, October 23, 2015

True Hunger VS Toxic Hunger

According to Dr. Fuhrman, author of Eat to Live, true hunger is felt in the throat and upper chest. Those stomach rumblings, gurgles and "hunger" pains are actually toxic hunger. Dr.Fuhrman says that the symptoms of toxic hunger are related to our body detoxing from SAD (Standard American Diet) food.

For the longest time I tried to feel true hunger. I tried to force it by not eating until I felt it. That did nothing but leave me with a vague sense of fatigue.

It's only been in the last couple months that I felt it, first fairly regularly and now quite reliably. I've come to the conclusion that you can't force it. When you're ready to feel it you're going to feel it.

Since increasing more variety I'm also experiencing more subtle grades of hunger. I used to either be hungry or not hungry but now I'm noticing that if I think about it when hunger first strikes I'm just a bit hungry and when I feel that way a small portion of food will satisfy that hunger. This is not snacking for the sake of snacking but responding to hunger when I know it will be 4-5 additional hours until I'm able to eat a meal should I ignore my slight hunger.

Another hallmark of true Hunger is that food tastes wonderful! I find this to be very true when I eat in response to throat hunger, even if slight but again I'm not sure you can force yourself to experience this.

Finally, for me salivating at the sight or thought of healthy food is a dead give away that I'm hungry. I have actually had my mouth water when I picked up a beautiful head of romaine in the grocery store and yes I was hungry at the time.

Have you ever experienced throat hunger? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment. Your comment will appear shortly.